In this episode, Janet and Nikki chat with Pilates teacher and movement educator Jennifer Gianni about how to work with pre and postnatal women in a Pilates and fitness setting:
- Basic recommendations for working with pre and postnatal clients
- How to assess for common issues related to pregnancy, such as pelvic floor dysfunction and diastasis rect
- Stretching considerations and contraindications
- Strategies and exercises to train the pelvic floor and the abdominals during and after pregnancy
- How women can tell if an exercise is right for their body during or after pregnancy
- Exercise myths related to pregnancy
- What the recovery period might look like after having a baby and how to progress back to regular exercise
About Jennifer Gianni
Jennifer has over 20 years of experience in the mind/body field. She began her formal Pilates training in Los Angeles at Performing Arts Physical Therapy under the direction of Melinda Bryan (certified and ordained by 1st generation Pilates Master Romana Kryzanowska). Jennifer’s training during these years included workshops, testing and continuing education seminars with Romana Kryzanowska as well as other Classical Pilates greats like Siri Darma, Jillian Hessel and Jay Grimes.
Jennifer was chosen to be one of the first Master Teacher Trainers in the United States by Balanced Body in 2007. Jennifer brings her own style and passion to the Balanced Body program and many students chose Balanced Body in order to work with her.
Jennifer discovered her passion for Pilates for pre & post natal women when she was pregnant with her first child which sparked the creation of her own method in 2001 and has been honing it ever since. She has presented her Fusion Fusion Pilates Pre & Post Natal Teacher Training program around the world since 2003 – from the United States to Japan to Russia and more…
Jennifer is the owner and director of Fusion Pilates DVD’s, which specialize in DVD programs for women’s fitness. Jennifer released her original Pre & Post Pregnancy series in 2001, two DVD’s for the Pilates Professional in 2009, and a Pilates Birth Ball series in 2011.
Jennifer is based in Asheville, NC at her Fusion studio, but travels to present her courses across the country and around the world. She is the owner and director of FusionPilatesEDU.com – a website dedicated to bringing the best online continuing education to Pilates professionals.